Return to Page A A A A M L XL

Entry Requirements

The Qualifications You Need to Train To Teach are:


Maths at grade A*-C or Grade 4 or above English Language at grade A*-C or Grade 4 or above Science at grade A*-C or Grade 4 or above  (Primary applicants only) We need to see your original GCSE certificates and cannot accept the statement of results- if you cannot find your GCSE certificates you need to apply to the individual exam boards for copies. All certificates must be produced before the start of the programme in September. We now accept applications from those studying for their GCSE qualifications however you must provide evidence at interview that you are currently enrolled on a GCSE course and will receive your result by August 2022.


An Honours Degree (360 credits) at 2:2 or above**. If you wish to train as a Secondary teacher your degree must closely relate to the curriculum area chosen. For those with a Foundation degree this must be supplemented by at least 120 credits at HE level. **Applications with a 3rd Class degrees may be accepted and will be considered on a case-by-case basis

GCSE Equivalencies

We Accept: We DO NOT Accept: If you do not already hold the required GCSE qualifications, it is possible for you to complete an equivalency test in each of these subjects which we would accept. We recommend Equivalency Testing who offer the option to complete revision courses with an allocated online tutor to mark your work and provide feedback, followed by an online equivalency test.


Whilst school experience is not an essential criteria for entry to initial teacher training, relevant experience is extremely valuable. It is therefore very important to gain as much experience as possible of working with children (preferably in an educational setting). It is also useful if this experience is with children of the age you wish to teach.

Overseas Qualifications

Overseas applicants are also welcome provided they have the required qualifications. Qualifications from within the European Economic Area (EEA) are generally accepted as UK equivalents. If you have qualifications from outside of the EEA the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC, will be able to advise you on whether your particular qualifications are equivalent to the minimum requirements and may also be able to provide certification where appropriate.

Police Check

You will be required to complete an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to verify that you do not have a background which would render you unsuitable to work with children.

Privacy Policy

We regard your privacy as important and any personal information you give to us will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulations.

We do not store personal information about individuals who visit this site except where they provide contact information via our contact us page and contact forms available on various pages throughout the website.

Any information you provide will only be used for the reasons specified and it will not be shared with any third party without your consent, unless required by law.

Your contact details are kept securely and are only accessed by authorised members of staff as part of the provision of school services. If you do not wish us to keep this contact information please tell us.

This website uses Google Analytics which provides statistical data about the usage of the site. This information is not used to identify individuals, but is collected to provide us with an understanding of the areas of interest on our site and how our site is being used.

If you are connected to the internet you will have an IP Address. This may take the form of a figure, such as 333.333.22.1. The address will be automatically collected and logged as part of the connection of your computer to our web server and may be used to determine the total number of visits to each part of the site. This data is not collected and used for other purposes.

This website contains links to other websites. The School is not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites or organisations and recommends you consult the privacy information on those sites.

This policy will be reviewed and updated versions will be posted on the website.

If you have any questions about the use of your personal information, the Information Commissioner is the independent regulator for both Data Protection and Freedom of Information.